[Rarebooks] FS: Margaret Bourke-White INSCRIBED to WWI Ace Eddie Rickenbacker: THEY CALLED IT "PURPLE HEART VALLEY": A COMBAT CHRONICLE OF THE WAR IN ITALY

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Mon May 6 12:12:24 EDT 2013

BOURKE-WHITE, Margaret (RICKENBACKER, Eddie). THEY CALLED IT "PURPLE
HEART VALLEY": A COMBAT CHRONICLE OF THE WAR IN ITALY. New York: Simon &
Schuster, 1944. First Edition. Illustrated with photographs by
Bourke-White. This copy INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the author to famous
pilot Eddie Rickenbacker on a large piece of paper pasted to the front
endpaper: "For my good friend/Eddie Rickenbacker/with all best/Margaret
Bourke-White." Medal of Honor-winning World War I aviator Eddie
Rickenbacker first gained fame in the formative years of auto racing as
a driver. Before owning and operating the Indianapolis Motor Speedway,
he participated in some of the first 500-mile races held there finishing
in tenth place in 1914. Rickenbacker flew a total of 300 combat hours,
reportedly more than any other U.S. pilot in World War I, and his 26
victories as a pilot constituted an American record that stood until
World War II. After the war, he started an unsuccessful automobile
company, but his most lasting business endeavor was his lifelong
leadership of Eastern Air Lines which Rickenbacker transformed from a
small airline to a major international transportation company. A gritty
account by the first female journalist to be attached to the U.S. Army
in World War II of her experiences with the Fifth Army during the
Italian Campaign. Very Good, lacking the dustwrapper.

The only other copy of this title we have seen that was signed was also
on a piece of paper pasted in. It is likely that Bourke-White was "in
the field" upon publication and unable to sign the book itself.
(#013929)        $1,000.00

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/013929.jpg

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com