[Rarebooks] FS: WANDERINGS OF A SPIRITUALIST Inscribed with 3 Letters by Creator of Sherlock Holmes

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Tue May 7 11:29:51 EDT 2013

 From our new catalog.  See all 50 items here: http://www.charlesagvent.com

DOYLE, Arthur Conan. THE WANDERINGS OF A SPIRITUALIST: Signed with Three
Autograph Letters. New York: George H. Doran Company, (1921). First
American Edition. Original green cloth; illustrated with black-and-white
photographic plates. INSCRIBED and SIGNED in full on the title page by
the creator of Sherlock Holmes to Arthur Edward Stilwell, one of
America's last empire builders of the gilded age: "Yours in the great
cause of Spirit-/Arthur Conan Doyle,/May, 31/22." Laid down on the front
free endpaper is a card from the Ambassador Hotel in New York on which
Doyle has written a short letter of about 40 words arranging a meeting
with Stilwell and SIGNED "Hurriedly,/A Conan Doyle." Laid in are 2
further AUTOGRAPH LETTERS SIGNED (ALSs) by Doyle to Stilwell, both
SIGNED as "A Conan Doyle." In a letter on both sides of a note card of
the White Star Line dated June 29 Doyle writes: "I have read your book
'THE LIGHT.' It is a very level & workmanlike production, with no high
lights, but never sinking below a good quality. I agree with your
publishers that it would be better not to allude to the Brownies.... I
hope some path may open up for your Spiritual labours. I have written
about you in my little book ... I have left nothing undone to smooth
your way." The other letter is on one side of stationery from a
telegraph office near Doyle's home. Doyle begins by telling Stilwell
that "I am full of sympathy but it is simply impossible for me to fall
into your Brownie scheme." Doyle then goes on to describe his itinerary
for a tour of America. He also mentions fellow spiritualist Rev. Vale
Owen and tells Stilwell that he has mentioned him to Lloyd George. Also
included is a Third Edition of Stilwell's book UNIVERSAL PEACE--WAR IS
MESMERISM,1911. Some rubbing to the cloth of the Doyle book with a
little fraying to one spine edge. The letter on White Star Line
stationery is a little wrinkled and soiled and has a vertical crease.
The other two letters are Fine.

Arthur Edward Stilwell was the founder of Port Arthur, Texas, and the
Kansas City Southern Railway. Stilwell claimed to be guided by
spirits--which he called "Brownies"--in many of his decisions. According
to SYBIL LEEK'S BOOK OF THE CURIOUS AND THE OCCULT, "Several times he
escaped death by following his intuition. He was spiritually informed
that he should build a railroad line south from Kansas City to Galveston
on the Gulf of Mexico. At a point twenty-nine miles from Galveston,
Stilwell's 'guide' told him to stop work and that the railroad must not
go to Galveston or it would mean his personal ruin and death to
thousands. He had a vision of a prosperous city struck down by a tidal
wave and destroyed. There were angry protests from his investors when he
announced his change of plan, but Stilwell followed his voices. He
directed the route toward a comparatively little known spot on the
coast, now Port Arthur. Four days after the completion of the railroad
terminating in Port Arthur, a mammoth tidal wave swept along the coast
of Texas and practically destroyed Galveston, reducing it to a shambles
of death and destruction. Port Arthur escaped and became the center for
the relief work for the stricken city. Stillwell became known as Lucky
Stilwell, as his visions were corroborated a dozen times by actual
events. He wrote books about his experiences and in 1910 predicted World
War I, the collapse of the Russian aristocracy, and the restoration of
Palestine to the Jews." Stilwell's luck apparently ran out as a company
he organized to build a railroad connecting Kansas City with the Pacific
Ocean was forced into receivership in March 1912. Ironically, oil was
discovered under its tracks and was to contribute to the fortune of its
receiver William T. Kemper. Stilwell died of apoplexy on 26 September
1928. His distraught wife, Jennie, committed suicide by jumping out the
window of their New York apartment thirteen days later. The Stilwells
were said to have left an estate of only a thousand dollars. (#016954)
     $6,000.00

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/016954.jpg

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com