[Rarebooks] FS: 27 Letters from the Editor of THE GREAT GATSBY and the Dedicatee of THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Fri May 17 08:52:10 EDT 2013

"Thomas Wolfe used to want me to go out and beat up critics."

PERKINS, Maxwell. ARCHIVE consisting of 27 TYPED LETTERS SIGNED (TLSs)
to novelist Alan Kapelner.  A sizable group of 27 TYPED LETTERS SIGNED
(TLSs) dating from 1942 to 1946 to novelist Alan Kapelner, who died in
1990, one of the last discoveries of famous Scribner's editor Maxwell
Perkins. Perkins, who died in 1947, worked on the first novels of Ernest
Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and Thomas Wolfe. Kapelner published two
novels, LONELY BOY BLUES in 1944, which earned acclaim for its evocation
of New York City and which is on several neglected books lists, and ALL
THE NAKED HEROES in 1960. Braziller, the publisher of the latter book,
touted its author as Maxwell Perkins's last discovery. Nearly all of the
letters here are single page on Charles Scribner's Sons stationery and
SIGNED in full. The correspondence begins with requests to see
Kapelner's manuscript [LONELY BOY BLUES] as well as politely declining
the author's requests for a job at Scribner's. Some selections: "I
should never think of making a decision on a book of such ability
without reading it carefully,- and what's more, I am certain that I
shall personally enjoy it greatly." "Thomas Wolfe used to want me to go
out and beat up critics--who often were bigger men than I-- but I never
could see that any particular good could come of it." Several of the
letters deal with specific advice about LONELY BOY BLUES, tentatively
titled IN AT THE KILL. Wonderful archive from arguably the most
important editor of the twentieth century whose advice resulted in often
substantial changes in the final versions of THE GREAT GATSBY, LOOK
HOMEWARD ANGEL, THE YEARLING, and FROM HERE TO ETERNITY, among others.
Hemingway dedicated THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA to Perkins. Near Fine.

FROM WIKIPEDIA: Unlike most editors, he actively sought out promising
new artists; he made his first big find in 1919 when he signed F. Scott
Fitzgerald. This was no easy task, for no one at Scribner's except
Perkins had liked The Romantic Egotist, the working title of
Fitzgerald's first novel, and it was rejected. Even so, Perkins worked
with Fitzgerald to revise the manuscript and then lobbied it through the
house until he wore down his colleagues' resistance.
Its publication as This Side of Paradise (1920) marked the arrival of a
new literary generation that would always be associated with Perkins.
Fitzgerald's profligacy and alcoholism strained his relationship with
Perkins. Nonetheless, Perkins remained Fitzgerald's friend to the end of
Fitzgerald's short life, in addition to his editorial relationship with
the author, particularly evidenced in The Great Gatsby (1925), his
masterpiece, which benefited substantially from Perkins' criticism.

It was through Fitzgerald that Perkins met Ernest Hemingway, publishing
his first major novel, The Sun Also Rises, in 1926. A daring book for
the times, Perkins fought for it over objections to Hemingway's
profanity raised by traditionalists in the firm. The commercial success
of Hemingway's next novel, A Farewell to Arms (1929), which rose to
number one on the best-seller list, put an end to questions about
Perkins' editorial judgment.

The greatest professional challenge Perkins ever faced was posed by
Thomas Wolfe, whose talent was matched only by his lack of artistic
self-discipline. Unlike most writers, who are often blocked, words
poured out of Wolfe. A blessing in some ways, this was a curse too, as
Wolfe was greatly attached to each sentence he wrote. After a tremendous
struggle, Perkins induced Wolfe to cut 90,000 words from his first
novel, Look Homeward, Angel (1929). His next, Of Time and the River
(1935), was the result of a two-year battle during which Wolfe kept
writing more and more pages in the face of an ultimately victorious
effort by Perkins to hold the line on size. Grateful to Perkins at first
for discovering him and helping him realize his potential, Wolfe later
came to resent the popular perception that he owed his success to his
editor. Wolfe left Scribner's after numerous fights with Perkins.
Despite this, Perkins served as Wolfe's literary executor after his
early death in 1938 and was considered by Wolfe to be his closest friend.

Although his reputation as an editor is most closely linked to these
three, Perkins worked with many other writers. He was the first to
publish J. P. Marquand and Erskine Caldwell. His advice was responsible
for the enormous success of Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, whose The Yearling
(1938) grew out of suggestions made by Perkins. It became a runaway
best-seller and won the Pulitzer Prize. Alan Paton's Cry, the Beloved
Country (1946) was another highly successful Perkins find. His
next-to-last discovery was James Jones, who approached Perkins in 1945.
Perkins persuaded Jones to abandon the novel he was working on at that
time and launched him on what would become From Here to Eternity (1951).
By this time, Perkins' health was failing and he did not live to see its
success, nor that of Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea (1952), which
was dedicated to his memory. Perkins last discovery was Marguerite
Young, who started her mammoth Miss MacIntosh, My Darling in 1947 with
his encouragement, signing a contract in 1947 based on her 40 page
manuscript. The novel was finally published in 1965. (#014000)     $5,000.00

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/014000.jpg

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com