[Rarebooks] FS: GUY AND DOLL: A Fine Letter from Damon Runyon and His New Wife

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Tue May 28 11:21:28 EDT 2013

RUNYON, Damon. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS). Fine and scarce holograph
letter on 7-1/4" x 10-1/4" personal stationery to Aurora with a SIGNED
holograph postscript at the top of the letter by Runyon's new wife
Patrice. Mr. Runyon, in full: "You will never know how happy it made us
to hear from you. We have often talked about you and wondered where you
were. Thanks for your congratulations [on Runyon's marriage]. We would
have let you know long ago if we had known your address. We may come to
Europe next spring and will come to see you. We spent our honeymoon in
California. Patrice is fine and prettier than ever, if that is possible.
Am so glad you are established again and hope you have much success.
With love from us both." SIGNED in full by Runyon. Letters by Runyon are
quit uncommon and when found are usually typed. This letter fills an
entire page with Runyon's writing which for the most part is very dark
with the ink light in a few places. Fine.

Damon Runyon gained recognition as a baseball columnist, beginning in
1911, with a knack for spotting the eccentric and the unusual, on the
field and in the stands, and is credited with revolutionizing the way
the game was covered. He was inducted into the writers' wing of the
Baseball Hall of Fame in 1967 and is also a member of the International
Boxing Hall Of Fame. He is best known though for his short stories
celebrating the world of Broadway, including the two that served as the
basis for the musical GUYS AND DOLLS. Runyon's first marriage fell apart
while he was becoming infatuated with a Mexican girl, the Patrice of
this letter, whom he had first met while covering the Pancho Villa raids
in 1916. This second marriage ended in 1946 shortly before Runyon's
death from throat cancer at the age of 66. His ashes were scattered from
an airplane over Broadway by Captain Eddie Rickenbacker. (#012005)
     $1,500.00

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/012005.jpg

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com