[Rarebooks] FS: Rare broadsheet, Civil War, St. Petersburg FL imprint, New Hampshire interest

Greg Powers powersrarebooks at comcast.net
Tue Nov 5 06:49:56 EST 2013

I can offer...

Order of Exercises for the Celebration of 86th Anniversary of American Independence at St. Augustine, Fla., by The fourth Regiment N.H. Volunteers, July 4th, 1862.  [St. Petersburg, FL: no printer, 1862].  Broadsheet, appx. 13 by 5.5 inches, the recto printed in several sizes of display type extolling the various participants in the festivities, the verso featuring a stirring and hilarious speech recounting American military history and present circumstances.  Four horizontal folds, with some wear at the folds just slightly affecting the legibility of one or two words, the upper quarter somewhat browned, but essentially in good condition.

The festivities included a procession headed by the Celebrated Knockemhigherthanakite Band under the direction of Herr Sawmynoseoff; a dress parade of the Highlandblowfisticators, and an oration by Professor Twistemstraighter, “after which Dr. Sawbones will present a Magnificent Crownometer to the most intellectual-looking soldier in the ranks.”  This would be followed by various games—catching the greased pig, wheelbarrow race (blindfolded), potato race, etc.—and a grand display of fireworks.

As entertaining as this is, Professor Twistemstraighter’s speech, printed on the verso, is a gem of vernacular oratory in mock-sermon style.   Here is his summation of the American Revolution:
Some fourscore and six years ago, when those regions now inhabited by crocodiles and mosquitos, was a howling wilderness, a certain cove named John Bull did the bossing for the people on this side of the Big Pond.  This is the time of which the Psalmist sings, “In the good old Colony times, when we lived under the King.”  Well, this boss was up to all manner of rough things, and he didn’t draw it mild—nary time.  He jerked up the people and sent them to kingdom come, which wasn’t pretty or proper.  He was orful down on the women, and bluffed ‘em down on their tea.  He sot a set of mean cusses to do the heavy governing.  But the people, says they, we won’t stand this no longer.  NO SIR! nary time.  Says they, We go in for the free and equal style—That’s what’s the matter!  So our sovereign forefathers got into a big muss, and Brother Jonathan, says he, John Bull, come on!  Who’s afeared? and John Bull he come on, and got licked like H-E-L-L!  That’s what’s the matter!  Big among the worthy men who did this business was Mr. G. Washington, (praised and revered be his memory.)  He was a man who could keep a hotel.  That’s so!

He touches briefly on the War of 1812 and the Mexican War, then gives a similar treatment to the current war and exhorts his listeners to win this one, too:
Remember your Jemimas at home!  Remember the patriot teachings of the old folks at home!  Ever prepared, if need be, to immolate yourselves for the glory of the cause.  Do this, that then if you get to kingdom come, you can meet old General Stark, and say to him, “General, I came from the battlefield for the preservation of the Union; and sir, I meet you now as your peer, old boy.  I died true New Hampshire game, let’s shake hands and take a drink.”  To this the old hero, extending his flipper, will say, “I am agreeable.”

A charming bit of ephemera, showing a degree of comic relief in the midst of war.

http://home.comcast.net/~powersrarebooks/4thJulyNHRegiment.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~powersrarebooks/4thJulyNHRegimentSpeech.jpg

$400 plus shipping

Powers Rare Books
Greg Powers, proprietor
344 Orange Street
Manchester NH  03104
603-624-9707
powersrarebooks at comcast.net
Fine & rare books, prints, maps, ephemera, since 1996