[Rarebooks] FS: 1845 Oliver Cromwell by Thomas Carlyle

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Mon Nov 25 07:49:06 EST 2013

TITLE: “Oliver Cromwell’s Letters and Speeches: with Elucidations”

By Thomas Carlyle.
Published in London by Chapman and Hall in 1845.

DISCUSSION: Thomas Carlyle [1795–1881] Scottish philosopher, satirist,
historian and essayist, coined the phrase “the dismal science” when
referring to economics, and helped to resuscitate Oliver Cromwell’s
reputation in the Victorian era. Carlyle presented Cromwell “as a hero in
the battle between good and evil and a model for restoring morality to an
age that Carlyle believed to have been dominated by timidity, meaningless
rhetoric, and moral compromise”, while stressing Cromwell's “centrality of
puritan morality and earnestness”. Well, I suppose that would be one way
to look at it.

pages, 2 portrait frontispieces. Bound in handsome three-quarter leather
and red cloth, raised, gilt bands and titling.

CONDITION NOTES: Some light cover wear, minor soil, scattered internal
foxing. Volume 2 with several instances of scuffing to the fore-edge which
extends to the edges of the pages (please see last photos, below). Tight
bindings.

PRICE: $250. -

SOME PICTURES =>

<http://www.joslinhall.com/images379/th-37900-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images379/th-37900-page1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images379/th-37900-page2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images379/th-37900-page3.jpg>

 - -

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our EMAIL LIST
  is used to notify you of new catalogs and specials-

Our LATEST ADDITIONS-
  <http://www.joslinhall.com/newadd-today.html>

Our LATEST CATALOG-
  <http://www.joslinhall.com/Bookin-5.pdf>

Our BLOG-
  <http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

 ~ ~ ~

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25% state sales tax.