[Rarebooks] FS: Japan & American Intimate Relations Revealed!

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Wed Oct 9 08:23:20 EDT 2013

(it's about the export trade, what did you think i meant?)

TITLE: “Worlds Revealed. The Dawn of Japanese and American Exchange”

Published by the Edo-Tokyo Museum in 1999.

DISCUSSION: The catalog to an exhibition staged jointly with the Peabody
Essex Museum in Salem, Massachusetts. Although Japan was formally opened
to the West in 1853, American ships, including those from Salem, had been
calling at Japanese ports since 1799. This exhibition marked the 200th
anniversary of that first trip, and also of the founding of Salem's East
India Marine Society by those far-voyaging ship captains of Salem.

The catalog is divided into six main sections-

- First Western Contacts: The Portuguese and the Dutch
- Salem in the Golden Age of Sail
- Winds of Change: American Ships at Nagasaki
- Whaling in the Pacific: Coming Face to Face
- The Doors Open Wide
- Worlds Revealed.

English/Japanese text.

CONDITION NOTES: Minor soil, but otherwise clean and nice, with a tight
binding.

PRICE: $85 -

SOME PICTURES =>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38733-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38733-cover2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38733-page1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38733-page2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38733-page3.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38733-page4.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38733-page5.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38733-page6.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38733-page7.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38733-page8.jpg>

 - - -

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our LATEST ADDITIONS-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/newadd-today.html>

Our LATEST CATALOG-
Books on Furniture
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_343.pdf>

Our BLOG-
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

On TWITTER-
<https://twitter.com/joslinhall>

Our EMAIL LIST-

 ~ ~ ~

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.