[Rarebooks] fa: SIR PHILIP WARWICK: MEMOIRES OF THE REIGN OF KING CHARLES I - 1703 Paneled Calf

Ardwight Chamberlain ardchamber at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 14 14:40:12 EDT 2013

Listed now, along with other titles related to the English Civil War, the Stuart kings, and Jacobites, auctions ending MONDAY, October 21. More details and images can be found at the URL below or by searching under the seller name arch_in_la.

http://tinyurl.com/lylcx3a

Thanks again,
Ardwight Chamberlain
L.A.

Sir Philip Warwick: Memoires of the Reign of King Charles I. Containing the most remarkable Occurrences of that Reign, and setting many Secret Passages thereof in a clear Light. With Impartial Characters of many Great Persons on both Sides, who chiefly govern’d the Counsels and Actions of that Scene of Affairs. Together with a  Continuation to the Happy Restauration of King Charles II… Published from the Original Manuscript with an Alphabetical Table. London: Printed for Ri. Chiswell, and sold by John Pero, at the White Swan in Little Britain, 1703. Period paneled calf; 8vo; [14], 437, [3] pp. ESTC T107512.

Warwick (1609-1683) was a Royalist who fought at Edgehill and served as secretary to Charles I during his negotiations with parliament. He remained in England after the Civil War, but maintained his allegiance to the Stuarts, and was knighted by Charles II upon his restoration to  the throne in 1660. Though he composed his memoirs between 1675 and 1677, they were not published until 1701.

Bound without the half-title; frontispiece portrait trimmed and laid down; area of faint damp-staining to the lower corner of the first 40 leaves or so; light (erasable) pencil marks to a few leaves; otherwise the contents are quite clean and bright in a handsome period binding whose front joint has been professionally repaired. Early owner's signature to the title: George & Charlotte Benson. Brief ms. biographical note in a 19th-century hand tipped onto the front flyleaf; additional leaf from another work ("The Explanation of the Emblem") bound in after the title-page.