[Rarebooks] FS: James Fenimore Cooper AUTOGRAPH LETTER: "I regard New York as the most remarkable town in the world"

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Wed Sep 11 13:55:12 EDT 2013

COOPER, James Fenimore. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS): "I regard New
York as the most remarkable town in the world." Cooperstown, 23 October
1850. An incredible 3-page AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED on two sheets of
8-1/2" x 6-7/8" paper by the author of THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS written
on behalf of James Henry Hackett (1800--1871) to his old friend Charles
Augustus Murray (1806--1895) who was at this time consul-general in
Egypt. In part: After imparting news of Hackett, Cooper reports on his
age and on the development of his country: "Half my time passes me, in
looking back. At sixty, if a man is ever to sum up the good and evil of
his past life, it is high time he began. I was sixty-one last September
and have grown gray. We are 'progressing' as we Americans call it, at a
famous rate. New York must have doubled its population, recently, since
you saw it.... Taking all things together, I regard New York as the most
remarkable town in the world.... Trade is driving all before it, and has
fairly invaded Broadway.... Talking of the dust, which is so shortly to
be my portion [Cooper died the next year], one of the most painful of my
recollections of my own travels, is the great number of the dead, among
the acquaintances I made. At one time it really seemed as if to know me
was to die.... My eldest daughter, whom you may remember, has ventured
to give the world a book called 'Rural Hours.' In this country it has
done very well.... There is a good deal of rumbling in our body politic,
but I think nothing will come of it, just now. The South has too much at
stake to risk, and every day it loses, increases the disparity of the
forces. This acquisition of California, hems in slavery, which must
finally fall of its own weight. What we are to do with the blacks, God
knows, but we shall never amalgamate." Cooper goes on to discuss the
importance of gold in expanding business ("a circulating medium being
the great necessity of America") and devotes a paragraph to a paranormal
phenomenon which he calls "the knockings": "All attempts at explanation
are failures. They are not confined to one family, or one place, but
have been heard in fifty places." He closes "Do not ask Hackett about my
comedy, premature damnation being best forgotten." Housed in a cloth
folder titled on the spine. Fine condition with dark ink in a Fine
folder of this exceptional letter.

Hackett was a successful character actor on the New York and London
stages, who was considered for a part in Cooper's sole and unsuccessful
attempt at playwriting, UPSIDE DOWN. This letter was given to Hackett to
present to Murray in London (and is noted by James F. Beard ed., LETTERS
AND JOURNALS OF JAMES FENIMORE COOPER: 6:229, n.2 as "unlocated").
(#016451)        $7,500.00

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/016451.jpg

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com