[Rarebooks] fa: PROSTHETICS 1823 - ENCHIRIDION or A HAND FOR THE ONE-HANDED

Ardwight Chamberlain ardchamber at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 18 10:48:11 EDT 2013

Listed now, along with other antiquarian scientific works, auction ending Sunday, September 22. More details and images can be found at the URL below or by searching under the seller name arch_in_la.

http://tinyurl.com/kzjk5x6

Thanks,
Ardwight Chamberlain
L.A.

George Webb Derenzy: Enchiridion: or A Hand for the One-Handed. London: [Pamphleteer,] 1823. Disbound 8vo pamphlet; 20 pp. [p. 431-450]; woodcut illustrations.

Well-illustrated description of the "One-Handed Apparatus," not really a prosthetic, per se, but an array of ingenious devices (wash-hand tray, nail-file, syringe, egg-holder, pen-knife, nut-cracker, card-holder, etc.) designed by an invalided army captain: "a set of instruments, to the invention and improvement of which I was originally induced to turn my attention, by the inconveniences I found myself continually exposed to, in my own person, in consequence of the loss of my right arm at the battle of Vittoria…"

Extracted from The Pamphleteer; complete but disbound with the page-gatherings loose; library stamp on the verso of the title-page, light toning and offsetting to the leaves, otherwise quite clean and fresh.