[Rarebooks] FS: 1858 Ypsilanti Michigan Lottery SCAM!!!

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Wed Apr 2 07:55:46 EDT 2014

 From our new AMERICANA Catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog348.pdf>

  - - - -

Promotional Materials for the 1858 Ypsilanti, Michigan 'Great Western
Enterprise' Gift Lottery Humbug -

Ypsilanti(?); A.M. Evans & Co. 1858.

DISCUSSION: A nice set of promotional materials for the greatest gift
lottery ever- guaranteed! On Saturday, April 24, 1858, the promoters
promised (pinky swear!) to give away a $5,000 house, and thousands of
cash gifts, to lucky ticket holders! How could you lose? The promotional
broadside, circular letter to agents, and nicely-printed tickets all
exuded just the right combination of charm, integrity and lots of pretty
color printing. "Humbug, A Look at Some Popular Impositions", published
in New York in 1859, mentions the "Great Western Enterprise" in its
chapter devoted to lottery scams, of which this sort of "Gift
Enterprise" was a fairly new but popular version, following the general
collapse of more straightforward lottery scams after many scandals.

DESCRIPTION & CONDITION NOTES: 13 pieces. Broadside- 5.5"x12", printed
in black, red and blue. Circular letter- 5"x8", printed in black. 11
individual $1.00 tickets- 4.5"x2.75". Some soil and stains to the
broadside, hole in the middle affecting a few letters, and bottom torn,
affecting the word "Shares" and the bottom margin. Circular page with
some soil, some light soil and folds to the tickets.

PRICE: $650 -

SOME PICTURES =>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40203-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40203-page1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40203-page2.jpg>

  - - - -

See more AMERICANA here-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog348.pdf>

  - - - -

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our LATEST CATALOG-
   <http://www.joslinhall.com/Bookin-9.pdf>

Our EMAIL LIST
   is used to notify you of new catalogs and specials-

Our BLOG-
   <http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.