[Rarebooks] FS: Scarce Second Edition of Adam Smith's THE WEALTH OF NATIONS, 1778

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Fri Apr 4 14:05:28 EDT 2014

This, along with many other fine items from our stock, nearly all signed
and including new, uncatalogued arrivals, is on display in our booth
D-20 at the New York Antiquarian Book Fair this weekend:

http://nyantiquarianbookfair.com/

SMITH, Adam. AN INQUIRY INTO THE NATURE AND CAUSES OF THE WEALTH OF
NATIONS. London: W. Strahan & T. Cadell, 1778. Second Edition. Two large
quarto volumes (8.5" x 10.6875"); [8], 510; [8], 589, [1] pages.
Complete with half-title in Volume II (no half-title called for in
Volume I). Contemporary calf leather, rebacked, with original gilt
spines and morocco labels laid down; corners renewed. First published in
1776, this Second Edition is scarcer than the first with only 500 copies
printed and is the only other edition published in quarto format. "The
second edition exhibits a number of alterations large and small, some
providing new information, some correcting matters of fact, some
perfecting the idiom, and a large number now documenting references in
footnotes" (William B. Todd, in the 1976 Oxford edition of THE WEALTH OF
NATIONS). Adam Smith (1723-1790) spent ten years in the writing and
perfecting of THE WEALTH OF NATIONS. The book succeeded at once, and the
first edition was exhausted in six months. Goldsmith 11663; Grolier, 100
English, 57; KressB 154; PRINTING AND THE MIND OF MAN 221: "The
certainty of its criticism and its grasp of human nature have made it
the first and greatest classic of modern economic thought." Armorial
bookplate of Gorham Parsons on the front pastedown of each volume. Some
foxing and browning, heavier in the first volume which has the front
free endpaper and the title strengthened at the inner and outer margins.
Occasional slight offsetting to the text in the second volume which has
the final gathering strengthened in the gutter. Very Good set in a
contemporary binding. (#014386)        $75,000.00

http://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/014386.html

--

All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com