[Rarebooks] FS: "Bentivolo and Urania". Ingelo's 1660 religious novel & attack on Cromwell.

Kenneth Karmiole kkarmiole at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 1 15:10:13 EST 2014

[Ingelo, Nathaniel]. BENTIVOLIO AND URANIA, in Four Books. By N. I. London: Printed by J. G. for Richard Marriot. 1660. Sm. Folio. First edition. (30),283,(1)pp. Index. Title page printed in red & black, with a woodcut ornament. Cont. gilt tooled paneled mottled calf, soundly rebacked, with brown calf spine label. Title page and following leaf lightly soiled.    $850.00
A religious novel, modeled after Sidney’s “Arcadia,” that is also apparently an allegorical attack on Oliver Cromwell. This is “Part I”, complete "In Four Books",  A second part was printed in 1664. Wing I 175.