[Rarebooks] FS: SIGNED Quotation by Longfellow from his Important Translation of Dante's DIVINE COMEDY

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Wed Dec 10 11:11:18 EST 2014

LONGFELLOW, Henry Wadsworth. AUTOGRAPH QUOTATION SIGNED from
Longfellow's Translation of Dante's DIVINE COMEDY. n.p., n.d.  On a 6" x
9" endpaper removed from an early printing of a volume of Longfellow's
translation of Dante's DIVINE COMEDY, the poet has written the first 3
lines of Canto III from the poem and has SIGNED "Henry W. Longfellow" at
the conclusion: "I enter, and I see thee in the gloom/Of the long
aisles, O poet Saturnine!/And strive to make my steps keep pace with
thine."  Chipping to the edges of the somewhat fragile paper but with no
effect at all on Longfellow's writing which is dark and bold.  Near Fine.

On 9 July 1861 while Longfellow was napping, his wife Fanny accidentally
lit her dress on fire.  Longfellow tried to smother the flames first
with a rug and then with his body, but the burns were fatal and Fanny
died the next morning.  Longfellow was burned badly enough that he was
unable to attend her funeral and thereafter wore a beard which became
his trademark.  After Fanny's death, the poet took refuge in translating
Dante's DIVINE COMEDY, a task that would occupy much of his time for the
next several years.  To assist him in the translation, he invited
friends--William Dean Howells, James Russell Lowell, Charles Eliot
Norton and other occasional guests--to weekly meetings of "The Dante
Club."  Longfellow's translation, the first by an American, was
published in 1867 and revised by him at later dates. (#017700)     $1,500.00

http://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/017700.html?id=pJSNiZ9S&mv_pc=652

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com