[Rarebooks] FS: Fine Letter from Jimmy Carter as President to the Prime Minister of Italy

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Thu Feb 6 11:21:53 EST 2014

We will have many fine items such as this in Booth 312 at the book fair
in Pasadena this weekend.

CARTER, Jimmy. TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS) as President to the Prime
Minister of Italy. Washington DC, 1 July 1977. Superb letter on White
House stationery SIGNED in full to the Prime Minister of Italy, Giulio
Andreotti, regarding an upcoming visit to the United States and a youth
unemployment bill recently passed by the Italian parliament. In part:
"You have suggested an excellent agenda for our talks. Each of the
subjects is of vital importance to both our nations, and to the broader
context of international politics and economics. It would also be
helpful for me to gain your views about political developments in Europe
and the best way for the United States to work with you and your
government in the days ahead." Letters exchanged between world leaders
are, as one would expect, quite scarce in the marketplace. Faint folds
from mailing. Fine.

Giulio Andreotti served as the 41st Prime Minister of Italy from 1972 to
1973, from 1976 to 1979 and from 1989 to 1992. A journalist as well, he
was also Minister of the Interior (1954 and 1978), Defense Minister
(1959--1966 and 1974), Foreign Minister (1983--1989), and was a Senator
for life from 1991 until his death in 2013. He enacted a number of
social reforms as prime minister including extending health insurance to
citizens over the age of 65 in receipt of a social pension. (#017295)
     $2,500.00

http://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/017295.html
--

All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com