[Rarebooks] FS: Scary Chickens -3 19th C. Pit Fowl Items in our new Bookin'!

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Wed Jan 15 08:02:59 EST 2014

Three items from our new edition of Bookin'!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Bookin-8.pdf>

1. [Scary Chickens]  "THE DERBY GAME BIRD. A Monthly Journal Devoted to
the Interest of the Cocker and the Breeder.  Vol. 2, No.5. January, 1893"
-  Derby, Indiana; Alex. W. Cummings.

A cheaply-printed monthly magazine "devoted to games for the pit" -pit
fowl and cock fighting. The text consists of a number of short pieces
touching on all aspects of cock raising, fighting, care, and so on, and
there are many interesting related advertisements. A rare periodical, to
say the least, with only 3 locations for any issue on OCLC, and those are
photocopies, not the original journal.

Softcover. 6.5"x9.5", 17 pages, several small black & white illustrations.
Minor soil, light wear. [39935] $250

 - - -

2. [Scary Chickens]  "GAME FOWLS FOR PIT PURPOSES bred and for sale by
Horace Baxter. Swanton, Vermont" -  Chatham; The Fanciers' Review Printing
House: no date, but probably 1870-80.

A promotional piece/catalog issued by a Vermont breeder of pit fowls for
cock fighting. Inside he lists his breeds, and extolls their virtues- Rose
Combs, Whips, Hennys, Tassels, Muffs, and Gray Boneys. Quite unusual and
very rare- no OCLC or other listings for any other example.

Folder. 6"x9". Illustration on the cover. Folded, light soil, starting to
split slightly on several folds. Delicate. [39936] $650

 - - -

3. [Scary Chickens]  "THE PATENT FIGHTING ROOSTERS - For Sale at all the
Toy Stores" -  New York; C.K. Sherwood & Co.: 1868.

"We would respectfully call your attention to our New Patent toy, called
The Fighting Roosters, of which we are the sole owners and manufacturers.
The Patent was only obtained in April, and we are now enabled to offer the
public a toy which amuses both old and young. We have submitted same for
inspection to the largest Importers and Dealers in Toys in this and other
cities, who without exception, pronounce it the best toy ever placed in
the market, and in every way far superior to those toys which have enjoyed
such popularity in this country during the last few years. It being also,
in a measure, a game of chance, will tend to keep this toy in favor, and
render it more interesting, where others would soon cease to be attractive
or furnish amusement, and be thrown aside. These toys are made in the best
possible manner, no expense having been spared in making them both durable
and elegant; are placed in handsome boxes, and with any ordinary care will
last for years. These Toys can be obtained of all the Toy dealers". Rare-
no listings for any other examples on OCLC or anywhere else.

Folder. 3"x5". Illustrations on the front and back cover. Some wear, minor
soil, chip, several slight tears. [39938] $200

 - - -

Pictures?
Sure, of these and more, in the new Bookin'!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Bookin-8.pdf>

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our EMAIL LIST
  is used to notify you of new catalogs and specials-

Our LATEST ADDITIONS-
  <http://www.joslinhall.com/newadd-today.html>

Our LATEST CATALOG-
  <http://www.joslinhall.com/Bookin-8.pdf>

Our BLOG-
  <http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

 ~ ~ ~

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25% state sales tax.