[Rarebooks] FS: 1844 Westminster Palace Architects Letter in our new Bookin'!

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Fri Jan 17 08:24:08 EST 2014

An item from our new edition of Bookin'!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Bookin-8.pdf>

Letter by Charles Barry Concerning the Palace of Westminster Restoration,
March 19, 1844.

DISCUSSION: The letter reads: "My dear Sir, I trouble you with another
print of my design for a new bridge at Westminster in consequence of an
addition which you will find I have made in the note at the foot of it - I
trust that in this matter common sense will prevail. Yours very faithfully
- Charles Barry. - B. Hawes Esq. M.P.".

Sir Charles Barry, FRS [1795-1860] was an English architect who today is
best remembered for his role in the rebuilding London's Palace of
Westminster (the Houses of Parliament). "He is known for his major
contribution to the use of Italianate architecture in Britain, especially
the use of the Palazzo as basis for the design of country houses, city
mansions and public buildings. He also developed the Italian Renaissance
garden style for the many gardens he designed around country houses."

The old Houses of Parliament were destroyed by a massive fire on 16
October 1834, and a competition was held to find a suitable design for
their reconstruction which Barry won, in collaboration with the designer
Augustus Pugin. The work faced many design and structural obstacles, and a
project which was supposed to be completed six years actually took
twenty-six and instead of costing some 700,000 pounds ended up costing 2.1
million.

CONDITION NOTES: Minor soil, folded.

PRICE: $100 -

A PICTURE =>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images394/th-39942-cover.jpg>

See more stuff in the new Bookin'!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Bookin-8.pdf>

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our EMAIL LIST
  is used to notify you of new catalogs and specials-

Our LATEST ADDITIONS-
  <http://www.joslinhall.com/newadd-today.html>

Our LATEST CATALOG-
  <http://www.joslinhall.com/Bookin-8.pdf>

Our BLOG-
  <http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

 ~ ~ ~

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25% state sales tax.