[Rarebooks] FS: Burmese Buddhist manuscript on palm leaves

Bob Petrilla petrillabooks at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 11:43:56 EDT 2014

Kammavaca. BURMESE BUDDHIST PALM LEAF MANUSCRIPT (KAMMAVACA). Original
manuscript. 20 leaves (40 "pages") of text in Pali, written with ink in a
very fine hand. With the original wooden covers are present; the ivory pin
is gone. This manuscript appears to be complete, although the palm leaves
may be out of order.  16" x 1.75" Very Good. Wooden Boards.
Kammavaca were traditionally commissioned as works of merit to be presented
when novices became monks, or when a son entered the Buddhist Order. The
earliest palm-leaf manuscripts date to the 11th century. More modern
examples comprise 16 unbound "pages" on cloth. Our example is on palm
leaves, accompanied by the original wooden covers. We do not read Pali, and
we have not fixed the date of this manuscript. Priced accordingly.
(#036765)        $750.00

Terms:  Payment by check, money order, PayPal, or credit card in US funds.

*Reciprocal trade discount.  Price includes domestic shipping. Shipments
abroad at cost.   Returns accepted within 10 days of receipt if found to be
other than as described.*

      R & A  Petrilla
Booksellers & Appraisers
          PO Box 306