[Rarebooks] FS: SIGNED Photographs of John Reed

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Thu Jul 17 09:17:18 EDT 2014

One of several spectacular John Reed items fromour new catalog--SUMMER
MISCELLANY 2014--which contains 127 select items, all new arrivals, in a
variety of fields. Here is a link to our illustrated pdf catalog on our
website:
http://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/index.html?id=DLrIinxi&mv_pc=440

[REED, John] . GROUP OF 5 SIGNED PHOTOGRAPHS OF SCENES IN SPAIN with an
Annotated Photograph of a Friend and a Photograph of Reed with Louise
Bryant.  First Edition. The 5 scenic photographs are all 2-3/4" x 4-1/2"
mounted on index cards and are all annotated by Reed and SIGNED by him
on the versos of the index cards as "J. S. Reed/42 Wash. Sq. N.Y. 1.
"From my window looking out into the square behind the hotel at Tolosa."
2. "Pyrenees Running out to sea San Sebastian." 3. Royal Box. The Annual
Royal Bull-Fight San Sebastian." 4. "Witch-chase in Burgos." 5.
"Hernani, a typical Basque village, dominated by its big bullying
Church." The photograph of a gentleman, slightly smaller in size, is
annotated by Reed in pencil on the verso identifying the man as Dr.
Dobay at the Ritz Hotel. The photograph of Reed and his wife Bryant is
slightly larger and depicts them standing and hugging on a porch, likely
in Provincetown, with no writing on the verso. The European photographs
were most likely taken by Reed during the summer of 1910 when he
traveled to Europe following his graduation from Harvard. Very Good and
unique.

Perhaps the best known left-wing American journalist of the twentieth
century; Reed was portrayed by Warren Beatty in the film REDS, nominated
for twelve Academy Awards and winner of three, which centered on Reed's
life, notably his romance with Louise Bryant, played by Diane Keaton,
and his early death at 33 in Moscow. Reed's best known book, TEN DAYS
THAT SHOOK THE WORLD, is Reed's firsthand account of the October
Revolution in Russia in 1917. (#017507)     $7,500.00

http://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/017507.html

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com