[Rarebooks] FS: The First Pulitzer Prize in Biography JULIA WARD HOWE with an Original Page of Manuscript

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Thu Jun 5 13:00:52 EDT 2014

On this day in 1917, the first Pulitzer Prizes were awarded. The first
Pulitzer for biography was awarded to Laura E. Richards and Maude H.
Elliott for their collaborative biography of their mother, Julia Ward
Howe.  Here is an excellent example of the limited edition with an
ORIGINAL MANUSCRIPT PAGE completely in Howe's hand.

[HOWE, Julia Ward] RICHARDS, Laura and ELLIOTT, Maud Howe. JULIA WARD
HOWE 1819 - 1910. Boston & New York: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1915.
First Edition. Two volumes in original cloth-backed boards. Copy #392 of
450 copies of the Large-Paper Edition with a numbered (3) leaf of Howe's
unsigned AUTOGRAPH MANUSCRIPT tipped in by the publisher. Though not
directly making a statement about women's rights, a favorite subject of
Howe's, this 20-line manuscript seems to be part of an argument for
equal treatment of women. In full: "...difficulties will have to be
imagined by me. I know there are difficulties connected with the
treatment of this question, for I have encountered them myself. But if
we try to think at all in the direction of progress, are we not [?] [?]
encounter difficulties? Look at the opposition which any acknowledged
doctrine makes to a new one. We [?] slowly & unwillingly mankind [?]
find out that they have been in the wrong. The [?] doing its best to [?]
& [?], see the old systems of astronomy reluctantly giving place to the
Copernican system. With Europe holding on to aristocratic traditions,"
Illustrated with plates and portraits, including a facsimile manuscript
of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic." Winner of the 1917 Pulitzer Prize
for Biography. Some fraying to the spine tips and rubbing. Very Good.
(#016168)        $400.00

http://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/016168.html

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com