[Rarebooks] FS: World War I Soldier's papers

Bob Petrilla petrillabooks at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 07:30:03 EDT 2014

MacDougall, Alan. SMALL ARCHIVE OF PAPERS REGARDING HIS MILITARY SERVICE
DURING WORLD WAR I, 1918-1919. v.p., 1918. Original manuscripts. Comprises
six items typewritten and handwritten, some on wartime pulp paper. (1)
Camden, NJ High School, Feb. 28, 1918, in part: describes Alan as "a young
man of good habits, obedient, and trustworthy...," signed by his chemistry
teacher. (2) YMCA, Camden, NJ, March 1, 1918: calls Alan "a young man who
stands well in this community as a student of the Camden High School, a
member of the Young Men's Christian Association and has been active on our
Boys' Council...," signed by the Associate General Secretary. (3)
Handwritten letter from Alan to his mother, "Somewhere in France," Nov. 11,
1918; 32 lines, in part: "Well the war is over and yours truly didn't cop
it, so I'll be drifting home some day....As to going to college I always
had an idea that I would....It's a doggone shame about Mary's brothers. Two
in as many weeks is darn hard luck. I guess this war being over will ease a
good many minds. My enlistment calls for six months after peace is
declared....Old New York will look mighty good to me. The Frenchmen and
Belgians, our bunch and nearly everyone is raising hail columbia
tonight....There is a tremendous lot of work over here in cleaning up. The
boats will be boarded to capacity for a long time...." (4) Western Union
Telegram, received at Merchantville, NJ, 4/9/19, from Camp Mills, NY:
"Everything fine be home in couple of days...." (5) Resolution, typewritten
and signed, in part: "Whereas, we, the members of the Anonymous Club, have
assembled in a special meeting at the home of R.C. Moore, Collingswood, New
Jersey, we feel that a peculiar recognition should be paid to those of our
members who took part in the universal strife and had overseas duty...,"
signed by 15 officers and members of the Club. (6) Camden High School
principal's letterhead, May 19, 1919, in part: "The teachers and students
of the Camden High School have been very greatly interested in the boys of
the school who responded so promptly to the country's call when the war
broke out....We raise our hearts in gratitude to God that he has spared
their lives....We are planning to have a program in your honor...May we
count on having you there in your uniform?..., signed by Clara S. Burrough,
Principal. Good . (#036706)        $60.00

Terms:  Payment by check, money order, PayPal, or credit card in US funds.

*Reciprocal trade discount.  Price includes domestic shipping. Shipments
abroad at cost.   Returns accepted within 10 days of receipt if found to be
other than as described.*

      R & A  Petrilla
Booksellers & Appraisers
          PO Box 306