[Rarebooks] FS: West Coast Sea Shells in 1882

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Wed Mar 5 09:36:34 EST 2014

TITLE: “West Coast Shells. A Familiar Description of the Marine, Fresh
Water, and Land Mollusks of the United States, Found West of the Rocky
Mountains”

By Josiah Keep.
Published in San Francisco by Samuel Carson & Co. in 1888.

DISCUSSION: Josiah Keep was a professor of Natural Science at Mills
College. This work was an enlargement of a book on California seashells
he had published several years before. The illustrations of shells were
drawn from life by Laura M. Mellen, an art teacher at Mills College.
Professor Keep, who had come to the school in 1885, helped develop its
science department as the private seminary for girls developed into "the
Wellesley of the Pacific Coast". His obituary in the September, 1911
issue of the journal 'Science', noted that to his books on shells "we
may fairly ascribe much of the wide-spread interest [in shells] which is
to-day found among Californians and which…has immensely increased our
knowledge of the Pacific coast fauna".

line illustrations. brow cloth covers with gilt lettering and shell
design.

CONDITION NOTES: Covers light rubbed, minor soil and scattered light
spotting, book smells slightly of air freshener, but otherwise clean and
nice, with a tight binding.

PRICE: $125 -

SOME PICTURES =>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40151-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40151-cover2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40151-page1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40151-page2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40151-page3.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40151-page4.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40151-page5.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40151-page6.jpg>

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our LATEST CATALOG-
   <http://www.joslinhall.com/Bookin-9.pdf>

Our EMAIL LIST
   is used to notify you of new catalogs and specials-

Our BLOG-
   <http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.