[Rarebooks] F/S Hawthorne & Rackham

Garry R Austin mail at austinsbooks.com
Mon May 12 13:25:56 EDT 2014

We offer these postpaid from our finds while scouting this weekend;

Hawthorne, Nathaniel. Septimus Felton or The Elixir of Life.  Boston: James R. Osgood and  Company, 1872. First edition, first state. Octavo; pp. (iv), 229, (i) and an ad leaf; decorated blue cloth with black rules and lettered in gilt; Very good; minor edge wear;        Net $100 post paid
BAL #7638,  First state noted by the dropped "I" in "It", line 18 on page 42; Posthumously published and edited by Una Hawthorne and Robert Browning.  There were only 3000 copies printed. Hawthorne explores some gothic themes and "Felton" became a Bleiler item; The Guide to Supernatural Fiction 779. Barron (ed), Fantasy Literature 2-79.

Moore, Clement C. The Night Before Christmas. Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott Co, (1931). Net $125 post paid
First American Edition, English sheets. Octavo; pp. (37); illustrated with four color plates and black and white illustrations by Arthur Rackham, also red and white illustrated end papers; green cloth with an illustrated paste on label at left of the front board; Very good.
Moore's classic,  A Visit From St. Nicholas, enhanced by the illustrations of Arthur Rackham.

Garry R Austin
mail at austinsbooks.com
Austin's Antiquarian Books
PO Box 730