[Rarebooks] FS: 1881 Bird Nest & Egg Protection Poster in our New Catalog

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Fri May 16 08:32:12 EDT 2014

 From our new Catalog, Bookin'! #10
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Bookin-10.pdf>

  - - - - -

1881 Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
Bird's Egg Protection Poster.
Boston, 1881.

This represents a very early attempt to protect birds and their eggs-
the Audubon Society, the longtime champion of birds and their nests,
would not be founded until 1886, and in the 1880s there were no Federal
laws and only a smattering of state laws, protecting songbirds and their
nests and eggs.

"Protect the Birds and their Eggs! The Massachusetts Society for the
Prevention of Cruelty to Animals asks the attention of all good citizens
to the law of the Commonwealth for the protection of small birds and
their nests, and it invites their co-operation in the enforcement of the
same. The penalty is ten dollars for killing each bird, and for
willfully destroying, disturbing or taking their nests or eggs the same
sum... Parents and teachers are especially entreated to instruct their
children not to bear any part in the killing and robbery of the innocent
birds. Remember their service to man in protecting his crops. As
Longfellow has said: 'They are the winged wardens of your farms, - Who
from the cornfield, drive the insidious foes, - And from your harvest
keep a hundred harms'."

The MSPCA was founded in 1868, the second-oldest humane society in the
United States, and among those on its first board of directors were John
Quincy Adams II and Ralph Waldo Emerson.

DESCRIPTION & CONDITION: Poster. 9.5"x15". Minor wear, light soil.
[40660]

PRICE: $250

A PICTURE=>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40660-cover.jpg>

See more items in our new Catalog, Bookin'! #10
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Bookin-10.pdf>

- - -

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our LATEST CATALOG-
   <http://www.joslinhall.com/Bookin-10.pdf>

Our EMAIL LIST
   is used to notify you of new catalogs and specials-

Our BLOG-
   <http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.