[Rarebooks] FS: Fred. A. Demmler- Soldier / Artist in our New Catalog

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Mon May 19 15:05:17 EDT 2014

 From our new Catalog, Bookin'! #10
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Bookin-10.pdf>

  - - - - -

“Immortal Youth. A Study in the Will to Create. A Memoir of Fred. A.
Demmler.”

By Lucien Price.
Published in Boston by McGrath-Sherrill Press in 1919.

DISCUSSION:  A rather polychromatic remembrance of a Pittsburgh-based
portrait painter who was killed in the last moments of World War One.
Fred "Fritz" Demmler studied under Tarbell and Benson at the Boston
Museum of Fine Arts School before returning to his native Pittsburgh and
embarking on a successful and promising career as a portraitist.
American involvement in the First World War and the draft intervened,
and Demmler shipped to France as part of a machine gun unit, attaining
the rank of sergeant in a very short time before being killed during an
attack just a week before the Armistice.

The author, Junius Lucien Price (1883-1964), became friends with Demmler
while Demmler was at the Museum of Fine Arts School, and the two
remained close until Demmler's death. Price was a popular author of non
fiction books as well as a staff writer for The Boston Evening
Transcript, the Boston Globe, and The Atlantic Monthly.

This book has the ownership signature of artist Russell Cheney. Cheney
(1881-1945) was a New England-born painter who studied at the Art
Students League of New York and served as its president for two years.
His work is held in many private and public collections including the
Boston Museum of Fine Arts and the San Francisco Museum of Art. He was
also a member of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences, the San
Francisco Art Society, and the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center.

DESCRIPTION and CONDITION NOTES: Hardcover. 6"x9", 53 ages, tipped-in
color plate. Covers with some wear, spot on title page, some internal
light soil and foxing.

PRICE: $85

SOME PICTURES=>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40606-cover.jpg>

<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40323-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40323-cover2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40323-page1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40323-page2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40323-page3.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40323-page4.jpg>

See more items in our new Catalog, Bookin'! #10
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Bookin-10.pdf>

- - -

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our LATEST CATALOG-
   <http://www.joslinhall.com/Bookin-10.pdf>

Our EMAIL LIST
   is used to notify you of new catalogs and specials-

Our BLOG-
   <http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.