[Rarebooks] FS: Scarce H. L. Mencken Advice on Raising Brats, 1910, price greatly reduced

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Thu May 29 11:11:17 EDT 2014

Price reduced:  WAS $3500    NOW $2500.

[MENCKEN, H.L.] HIRSHBERG, Leonard Keene. WHAT YOU OUGHT TO KNOW ABOUT
YOUR BABY. New York: Butterick Publishing, 1910. First Edition. Aside
from his nearly impossible to obtain scarce first book VENTURES INTO
VERSE, this is Mencken's scarcest book. Though not published under his
own name, Mencken wrote most if not all of the text. If you want to know
Mencken's viewpoints on subjects such as the difference between mother's
and cow's milk, there is no better, perhaps no other, place to turn.
Mild spotting to the dark green covers. Foxing and a few very light
stains to the first few pages. Very Good, lacking the impossibly scarce
dustwrapper.
In a copy that sold at auction at Christies in 1995, Mencken inscribed
the following: "I found Hirshberg. He prepared the material and I wrote
the copy. More than 125,000 American mothers, using this invaluable
text, have saved their brats from smallpox, arterio-sclerosis,
poison-vol and delirium tremors. This has been my sole contribution to
the salvation of humanity." (#012969) $2,500.00

http://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/012969.html

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com