[Rarebooks] New York Shadow Book Fair April 2015

Garry R Austin mail at austinsbooks.com
Mon Nov 3 08:19:47 EST 2014

Recently there has been much discussion regarding the future of the “Shadow Show” to the New York ABAA Show next April. I would refer all to Greg Gibson’s (Ten Pound Island Books) October 20th blog, “Book Show Wars”. Greg has recounted much of the history of the rise of the shadow show concept and the current state of the forth coming show in New York, April next.

I am very happy to announce that John & Tina Bruno of Flamingo Eventz have decided to relocate the Shadow Show to the very door of the Park Avenue Armory. The Manhattan Vintage Book & Ephemera Fair (“The Shadow Show”) will take place on Friday April 10, 8am-4pm at the Church of St. Vincent Ferrer, 869 Lexington Avenue at 66th St, New York, NY 10065. The entrance to the show on Lexington Avenue is just across the street from the Armory.

This move will be beneficial to the trade in several ways. The concentration of these events within two contiguous Manhattan city blocks will allow the exhibitors at the ABAA event to visit the Shadow Show effortlessly and stay longer with no need for taxis, no traffic hassles, etc.

Shadow Show Exhibitors will be able to facilitate easy delivery of materials to the Armory, allowing the ABAA exhibitors to shop & run. For the Shadow Show Exhibitor, the proximity of a NYPD Precinct that will be issuing Parking Permits will enhance the Unloading/Loading process. The exhibition space is well lit and easily accessible without stairs or elevators.

Exhibitors at the ABAA Show will receive an enhanced Admission Discount by wearing their ABAA Show Badge, and the visiting public will benefit from the proximity of the two shows as well. Finally, a real Win-Win situation for the trade and the book fair patron.

Flamingo Eventz has retained me to serve as liaison with any ABAA member who may have logistic questions. I will be exhibiting at the Shadow Show and supporting this effort in any way that I can.

See you in New York this April!

Garry R. Austin
Austin’s Antiquarian Books
Wilmington, VT