[Rarebooks] FS: Woodrow Wilson SIGNED Speech Announcing End of World War I

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Thu Nov 6 10:00:19 EST 2014

WILSON, Woodrow. ADDRESS OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES DELIVERED
AT A JOINT SESSION OF THE TWO HOUSES OF CONGRESS NOVEMBER 11, 1918.
Washington: [Government Printing Office], 1918. First Edition. Printed
wraps, 11 pages. SIGNED by the President on the front cover. A scarce
example, most especially when signed, of Woodrow Wilson's official
announcement of the end of World War I. The Allies' armistice terms were
first presented to German negotiators on 8 November 1918; alarmed at the
severity of the terms the Germans lodged formal protests before
reluctantly signing revised terms at 5 A.M. on 11 November; the
armistice was to come into effect six hours later, at 11 A.M. President
Wilson shortly afterwards announced details of the armistice to Congress
in this speech which also outlines the terms of the armistice: "The war
thus comes to an end; for, having accepted these terms of armistice, it
will be impossible for the German command to renew it. It is not now
possible to assess the consequences of this great consummation. We know
only that this tragical war, whose consuming flames swept from one
nation to another until all the world was on fire, is at an end and that
it was the privilege of our own people to enter it at its most critical
juncture in such fashion and in such force as to contribute in a way of
which we are all deeply proud to the great result. We know, too, that
the object of the war is attained; the object upon which all free men
had set their hearts; and attained with a sweeping completeness which
even now we do not realize. Armed imperialism such as the men conceived
who were but yesterday the masters of Germany is at an end, its illicit
ambitions engulfed in black disaster." Vertical crease down center, fair
amount of wrinkling. Very Good. (#014918)        $8,500.00

http://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/014918.html?id=3xor3ZJK

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com