[Rarebooks] FS: World War I Battle Maps from the Official History of the War

William Van Nest trilliumbooks at sympatico.ca
Wed Nov 26 22:50:32 EST 2014

We are pleased to offer for sale:

World War I Battle Maps from the Official History of the War published by MacMillan. Ex Royal Canadian Service Corps Library.

Ninety-six battle maps, in five map boxes as issued, from early World War I beginning with the German order of battle at the outbreak of hostilities, August 1914, and including the British retreat from Mons, the muddy debacle on the Somme, the action at Loos, and The Lys in Spring 1918. A great deal of detail, as these maps were produced shortly after the war for students at military colleges and officer training facilities operated by the British and Canadian armed forces (who were engaged from the very beginning of the war). Shows trenches, mine fields, artillery and machine gun emplacements, avenues of advance and retreat, identities of the units on both sides, lay of the land, transport corridors, etc. The folding map boxes are 22 cm high; the maps unfold to 51 cm x 41 cm.

Not a complete set, as follows:

German Order of Battle, August 1914 (Plate and 25/36 maps)
Mons, 17th- 24th August to 25th September, 1914   (24/34 maps)
Loos, 9th May- 13th October, 1915 (10/11 maps)
Somme, (12/13 maps, 1916)
The Lys, (25/26 maps, 1918)

Only a very few maps with ms additions; otherwise they are clean, bright, and sound. Attractive to an amateur military historian and, even, to someone tracing a family history (If, for example, you had a relative who was lost early in the war at Mons, knowing his unit and the date on which he was killed, it is possible to locate fairly accurately where exactly he fell.) All the maps, tabbed and boxed.  200.00  USD.

For pictures, please visit  https://www.dropbox.com/s/iw6gt0uopddnvrc/Thumbnail.jpg?dl=0

Best wishes,

William Van Nest

Trillium Antiquarian Books, IOBA