[Rarebooks] FS: 1925- There is No National Gallery of Art in Washington, And We're Not Happy!

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Fri Oct 3 06:59:03 EDT 2014

“Exhibition of Early American Paintings, Miniatures and Silver Assembled
by the Washington Loan Exhibition Committee”

Published in Washington by the National Gallery of Art in 1925.

DISCUSSION: The catalog of an early loan exhibition of American works,
part of the then-ongoing fight to get a National Gallery of American Art
properly funded and have a building erected for it. The National
Gallery, part of the Smithsonian, had been given a skeleton budget by
Congress in 1920, and in 1923 a site for the building was selected, but
no funds were appropriated by Congress for the project, which still lay
dormant when this exhibition was arranged. The catalog's 3-page
introduction goes into these machinations in some detail, and concludes
that it is a great shame that America cannot manage to erect a proper
building (which would finally be done in 1941).

The short introduction to the Miniatures section was written by Albert
Rosenthal. The introduction to the Portraits section was written by
Leila Mechlin. The somewhat longer introduction to the silver was
written by Elizabeth Benton of the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. Members
of the Committee on Silver included Hollis French and Luke Vincent
Lockwood. The silver was categorized into New England wares; New York;
Philadelphia, Baltimore, Annapolis & Washington, and Anonymous makers.

plates.

CONDITION NOTES: Covers somewhat worn, a little soil, spine split in a
few places, some light internal foxing; a delicate catalog.

PRICE: $60-

SOME PICTURES =>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images394/th-39429-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images394/th-39429-cover2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images394/th-39429-page1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images394/th-39429-page2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images394/th-39429-page3.jpg>

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our LATEST CATALOG-
   <http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog350.pdf>

Our EMAIL LIST
   is used to notify you of new catalogs and specials-

Our BLOG-
   <http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.