[Rarebooks] FS: Lewin's BIRDS OF GREAT BRITAIN with 336 fine hand-colored plates

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Mon Sep 8 13:46:02 EDT 2014

One of several fine ornithological titles from our recently posted
catalog--SUMMER MISCELLANY 2014--which contains 127 select items, all
new arrivals, in a variety of fields. Highlights include the scarce
First Issue of Shakespeare's POEMS [1709] in a beautiful Cosway binding;
Thoreau's WORKS with a leaf of manuscript mentioning Walden Pond; one of
25 special copies of the Gregynog Aesop; Louise Bryant's acting copy of
Eugene O'Neill's first book along with several John Reed association
copies; a long run of signed and limited Raymond Carver titles; the
first book of music by a Native American; a lengthy unpublished
manuscript about Alaskan gold by poet Joaquin Miller; several
ornithological works including Brisson's ORNITHOLOGIE, most with
beautiful hand-colored plates; some scarce modern poetry and signed
presidential books; signed copies of Emerson's POEMS, Rachel Carson's
SILENT SPRING; and much more.

Here is a link to our illustrated pdf catalog on our website:
http://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/index.html?id=DLrIinxi&mv_pc=440

LEWIN, William. THE BIRDS OF GREAT BRITAIN, SYSTEMATICALLY ARRANGED,
ACCURATELY ENGRAVED, AND PAINTED FROM NATURE... London: J. Johnson,
1800, 1796, 1797, 1801. Second Edition. Eight quarto (9-1/4" x 11-1/2")
volumes bound in four in contemporary leather-backed marbled boards.
Text in English and French. Illustrated with 336 fine hand-colored
plates, 278 of birds and 58 of eggs. The very scarce first edition was
limited to only 60 folio copies with each illustration an original
watercolor by Lewin. For this second edition Lewin engraved plates for
the first three volumes himself, while plates in the remaining volumes
were done by his sons. While some sets have watermarks dated 1815, this
set is watermarked 1794. Owner name on front pastedown of first volume.
Some scattered foxing and soiling but generally a very clean set; some
rubbing to the spines with nearly all of the leather labels lacking.
Near Fine.

ANKER 306; FINE BIRD BOOKS, page 91; NISSEN 562; ZIMMER, page 395.
(#017492)        $7,500.00

http://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/017492.html?id=uvBmm82L

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $25.00. Overseas postage billed at

info at charlesagvent.com