[Rarebooks] FS: New London Whaling Captain's letter from Falkland Islands, 1832

Bob Petrilla petrillabooks at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 08:15:30 EDT 2014

Johnson, Capt. Joseph. HANDWRITTEN LETTER (ALS) FROM THIS WHALING CAPTAIN
TO N[oyce] & W[illiam] W. BILLINGS, NEW LONDON, CONNECTICUT, DATELINED
FALKLAND ISLANDS, JUNE 28th, 1832. Original manuscript. One page, octavo,
about 10 lines, readable hand, sepia ink, integral address panel; wear at
one fold from opening seal, few letters lost. In part: "...Having this day
been discharged from the John & Edward and having calculated to remain in
these Islands another season I would thank you upon settling up the voyage
of the ship to pay my note to ...for $148 Dollars with Interest and take up
my note from...of $12....you will much oblige your Humble Servant Joseph
Johnson."  8.25" x 6.75" Good .
The ship John and Edward sailed out of New Bedford, Massachusetts. In the
Nicholson Collection is the log of her 1844-1846 whaling voyage under
Francis Cottle Smith, Master.  $100.00

Terms:  Check, money order, PayPal, or credit card in US funds.
*Reciprocal trade discount.  Price includes domestic shipping.  *
*Shipments abroad at cost.   Returns accepted within 10 days of
receipt if found to be other than as described.*

      R & A  Petrilla
Booksellers & Appraisers
          PO Box 306
  Roosevelt, NJ 08555