[Rarebooks] FS: Superb Handwritten FDR Letter to his son James with revealing biographical and financial information

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Fri Sep 19 16:22:47 EDT 2014

One of a number of interesting Franklin, Eleanor, and Theodore Roosevelt
items in stock, many unique and rare.

ROOSEVELT, Franklin Delano. AUTOGRAPHED LETTER SIGNED (ALS) to his son
James with revealing biographical and financial information. Hyde Park,
[May 1927]. A 5-1/2-page AUTOGRAPH LETTER on 3 sheets of Roosevelt's
Fidelity & Deposit Company of Maryland stationery, completely in FDR's
hand, to his son James Roosevelt SIGNED as "Father." Roosevelt begins
discussing Jimmy's return to rowing and his attempt to watch his son in
action. He then mentions in a very revealing manner his half-brother,
James, 26 years FDR's senior: "Of course Uncle Rosy's death was a very
great shock to me- He was so much older than I am, that it would have
been perfectly possible for us to be a good deal apart, yet I think that
he & I were much more like real brothers than in many cases & we always
pulled together with a fine understanding." Roosevelt gives details
about James's estate and inheritances including his own: "I receive
outright 100,000, which is part of what my Father left to Uncle Rosy-
and I get the guns rifles & fishing tackle." He mentions how the death
has disrupted his plans to be at Warm Springs and talks about a planned
family trip to Europe. He tells Jimmy not to worry about school: "The
chief advantage of the law is that it is the finest preparation for any
non-scientific career but you could always take one of the short night
courses at any time." Attending but not graduating from Harvard, James
became an insurance executive, a position he left in 1937 to become
secretary to his father in the White House. Letters completely in FDR's
hand are scarce, especially to a family member, and virtually unique
when this length. With the envelope addressed by FDR to Mr. James
Roosevelt. Normal creases. About Fine with envelope postmarked 15 May
1927. (#013352)        $20,000.00

http://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/013352.html?id=LirHMGK8
--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com