[Rarebooks] FS: Oncle Hansi, Le Paradis Tricolore (1918 World War I children's book)

Robin Bledsoe robin.bledsoe1 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 26 16:04:28 EST 2015

For your consideration, offered here first:

Oncle Hansi./Le Paradis Tricolore: Petites Villes et Villages de
l’Alsace déjà delivrée . . . . /Paris : H. Floury, 1918. First
edition.$100. (trade discount)

French children’s book containing “un peu de texte et beaucoup d’images
pour les petits enfants alliés.” It celebrates the small “happy” area of
Alsace, which escaped German “brutality” during World War I because it
was liberated by French troops in 1914 (the towns of Thann, Massevaux,
Dannemarie, and others). “Oncle Hansi” was native Alsatian Jean-Jacques
Waltz, the popular cartoonist and illustrator later persecuted for his
anti-German views.

N.p., over 30 brightly colored illustrations by the author (8
full-page). Bound in striped and floral cloth (soiled; lacks cover label
and slipcase).Gatherings separating at bottom, but binding is well
stitched.Content very good and clean. Scans available on request.

Not yet listed on our online sites.

--
Robin Bledsoe, Bookseller (ABAA)
1640 Massachusetts Avenue