[Rarebooks] FS: Presentation copy of "The Itinerary of Rabbi Benjamin of Tudela" from trans. A. Asher. 1840-41

Kenneth Karmiole kkarmiole at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 2 17:34:01 EST 2015

(JUDAICA) Benjamin ben Jonah, of Tudela ("Benjamin of Tudela"). THE ITINERARY OF RABBI BENJAMIN OF TUDELA. Translated and Edited by A. Asher. Vol. I. Text, Bibliography, and Translation [Vol. II. Notes and Essays]. London and Berlin: A. Asher & Co. 1840-1841. 2 vols. xii,165,(131);xx,448pp. With the second part of Vol. I printed in the original Hebrew. Both volumes are in a special presentation binding, bound by Riviere & Son, of full brown morocco, gilt. A.e.g. Vol. I is inscribed on the half-title in English and Hebrew by the editor, Adolf Asher, to R. H. Major, dated June 3, 1847. Engraved armorial bookplates on both front pastedowns. Small round library stamp on verso of each title page.  A great copy of this rare set.              $1,250.00 (trade discount allowed)
An important scholarly edition with a comprehensive bibliography and Asher's valuable notes and commentary. Benjamin of Tudela is the most famous Jewish traveller of the Early Middle Ages (12th century); he travelled through Europe, Asia and Africa.

Kenneth Karmiole, Bookseller, Inc.
P.O. Box 464
Santa Monica, CA 90406
Tel. (310) 451-4342; Fax. (310) 458-5930
Email: kkarmiole at yahoo.com