[Rarebooks] FS: The Dorr Rebellion & Suffrage in Rhode Island - 1879 Reprint of 1842 Pamphlet

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Fri Jan 16 08:32:47 EST 2015

TITLE: Considerations on the Rhode Island Question. Considerations of
the Questions of the Adoption of a Constitution and Extension of
Suffrage in Rhode Island.

By Elisha R. Potter.
Published in Central Falls, Rhode island by E.L. Freeman & Co., State
Printers, in 1879.

DISCUSSION: A re-issue of this interesting pamphlet, originally printed
in Boston in 1842 in the aftermath of the Dorr Rebellion, which had
sought to change the Rhode Island Constitution to allow many of its
citizens to vote. As it entered the 1840s, Rhode Island's Constitution
was still based on its 1663 colonial charter that required a man to own
property to vote. The six-week rebellion, which featured misfiring
cannon, a single death (of a bystander) and two rival governments, led
to modest reforms- American born men no longer had to be property owners
to vote, but immigrants still did, and of course the subject of women
never came up at all. Elisha Reynolds Potter (1811-1882) was a
conservative Rhode Island politician who had served on the Rhode Island
Supreme Court, and this pamphlet is regarded as one of the more
scholarly attempts to show that limiting the franchise to
property-owning men was actually the most democratic form of government
imaginable.

DESCRIPTION & CONDITION NOTES: Softcover. 5.5"x8.5", 63 pages. Corner of
cover torn off, front cover edges a little chipped, break along the
hinge, rear cover and spine perished, title page corner chipped, minor
soil. Very fragile.

PRICE: $65-

THE COVERS =>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-41506-cover.jpg>

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our LATEST CATALOG-
   <http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog353.pdf>

Our EMAIL LIST
   is used to notify you of new catalogs and specials-

Our BLOG-
   <http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.