[Rarebooks] fa: [AVIATION] GUSTAVE EIFFEL - LA RESISTANCE DE L'AIR ET L'AVIATION 1914

Ardwight Chamberlain ardchamber at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 8 12:01:39 EDT 2015

Listed now, auction ending Sunday, July 12. More details and images can be found at the URL below or by searching for the seller name arch_in_la.

http://tinyurl.com/onqyjs8

Thanks again,
Ardwight Chamberlain
L.A.

G[ustave] Eiffel: Nouvelles Recherches sur la Résistance de l'Air et l'Aviation faites au Laboratoire d'Auteuil. Paris: H. Dunod et E. Pinat, 1914. FIRST EDITION. Two volumes, large 4tos (33 cm), in original publisher's textured cloth. Vol. I (Texte): 406 pp., lithograph frontispiece, in-text tables, graphs, photographs; vol. II (Atlas): 67 pp. plus 39 plates (complete), most double-page or folding, of diagrams, graphs and charts (actually, there are 40 plates, as a duplicate of plate XXXIX has been loosely laid in).

Pioneering work by this legendary French engineer who, late in his career, turned his energies to research into aerodynamics. Not surprisingly for such massive and heavy books, the bindings are shaken; vol. I front and rear inner hinges split but holding, cloth torn along rear joint, frontispiece and one text leaf detached but present; both vols. with bumping and wear to the corners, some fraying at the spine ends; contents mildly age-toned, corners of vol. I text block a little bumped; otherwise quite clean and sound.