[Rarebooks] FS: Happy 103rd birthday! Phenomenal Woody Guthrie Letter

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Tue Jul 14 13:30:36 EDT 2015

GUTHRIE, Woody . AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS) on the Current Folk Music
Scene and Championing Pete Seeger. [Brooklyn], 1955. Interesting
AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED, three pages on adjoining panels of an off-white
folding paper towel (7-1/2" x 9-1/2"), dated "On top of old April," 1955
and sent to SING OUT, the influential folk music magazine still
publishing today. Using several colors of ink, Guthrie writes what seems
to be an overview of the current folk music scene concentrating on and
comparing the young and upcoming Pete Seeger and Ewan MacColl, folk
singer and partner of Peggy Seeger. In part [Guthrie's spellings and
grammar retained]: "Artists ... do sing up and out with the pure old
truth in bigger bunches and at better lower & cheaper price than I hear
it sung around any other ... old printin shop or office.... I sure do
believe that Petey Seeger is a real champion at more jobs then floggin
his wire stringy banjo ... singing his ever better & better & better and
better ... songs. He sounds honester to my poor old exploited ear than
Ewan Macall's [Ewan MacColl]. I don't rekon that Macall has ever walked
his land from end to end like Pete has.... Macall ever try to make his
grat country's own poverty and misery and deep ... hunger and wories and
fears ... and hopes all rhyme ... beat to time of a ballad song on any
musicyial instrument like Pete has and habitually does.... I guess Ewan
is a fine ... honest hard workin' man like England and Scotland ... so
full of by the uncounted millions and to me Ewan does the best job of
singing exactly what his pappa and his mama and all his ancestors and
all of his back generations of dead miners have told Ewan and had sung
to him all his life about. He sounds too muchly slick & polished and
rehearsed and thin to me-because he sings not about what his own life
sees around him but what his ancestors lived thru and heard and sang out
about. They made up their ballads to tell how hard ... every minute and
every hour ... and every nite.... When I sit and just read those printed
words in my ... lp album here I get this terrible feeling again that I'm
living in the place and scenery where it all takened place and where it
all happened at but Ewan's records fail to live quite up in their
feelings when I play them." Guthrie closes, "Every word you folks print
up there is printed on a high high hard hittin' hard fightin' level and
all your printed words needs is just a ... jillion people to sing em up
and out in your high militante spirit."  Folds and light show-through to
text resulting from the nature of the material, otherwise clean, bright,
and Fine.

At the time of writing, Guthrie was a patient at the Brooklyn State
Hospital (whose name he adds below his signature), where he spent years
in treatment for various maladies. After a number of diagnoses,
including alcoholism and schizophrenia, it was finally determined that
Guthrie suffered from Huntington's disease, a genetic condition that had
earlier claimed his mother's life. One of his visitors was Bob Dylan. In
his autobiography CHRONICLES, Dylan recounts hearing Guthrie for the
first time: "Guthrie had such a grip on things. He was so poetic and
tough and rhythmic. There was so much intensity, and his voice was like
a stiletto. He was like none of the other singers I ever heard, and
neither were his songs.... They had the infinite sweep of humanity in
them. Not one mediocre song in the bunch. Woody Guthrie tore everything
in his path to pieces. For me it was an epiphany, like some heavy anchor
had just plunged into the waters of the harbor." (#016459) $15,000.00

http://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/016459.html

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com