[Rarebooks] FS: Whaling Captain's letter, 1832

Bob Petrilla petrillabooks at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 11:32:20 EDT 2015

Johnson, Capt. Joseph. HANDWRITTEN LETTER (ALS) FROM THIS WHALING CAPTAIN
TO N[oyce] & W[illiam] W. BILLINGS, NEW LONDON, CONNECTICUT, DATELINED
FALKLAND ISLANDS, JUNE 28th, 1832. Original manuscript. One page, octavo,
about 10 lines, readable hand, sepia ink, integral address panel; wear at
one fold from opening seal, few letters lost. In part: "...Having this day
been discharged from the John & Edward and having calculated to remain in
these Islands another season I would thank you upon settling up the voyage
of the ship to pay my note to ...for $148 Dollars with Interest and take up
my note from...of $12....you will much oblige your Humble Servant Joseph
Johnson."  8.25" x 6.75" Good .
The ship John and Edward sailed out of New Bedford, Massachusetts. In the
Nicholson Collection is the log of her 1844-1846 whaling voyage under
Francis Cottle Smith, Master.   90.00

Trade discount 20%, postpaid in US

    *  R & A  Petrilla*

*          Booksellers/Appraisers                     PO Box 306
 Roosevelt, NJ 08555                   (609) 426-4999
<%28609%29%20426-4999>*

*Sign up for New Arrival Notifications:**        www.petrillabooks.com
<http://www.petrillabooks.com>*

*           Member:  ABAA, IOBA*