[Rarebooks] fa: G. P. R. JAMES - MY AUNT PONTYPOOL 1835 - Uncommon Novel re. Battle of Waterloo, etc.

Ardwight Chamberlain ardchamber at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 18 12:36:13 EDT 2015

Listed now, auction ending Sunday, June 21. More details and images can be found at the URL below or by searching for the seller name arch_in_la.

http://tinyurl.com/pfnb3b6

Thanks again,
Ardwight Chamberlain
L.A.

[George Payne Rainsford James:] My Aunt Pontypool. In Three Volumes. London: Saunders and Otley, 1835. FIRST EDITION. Three volumes, 8vo (18.5 cm), in early/period half morocco and marbled boards; 350, 335, 331 pp.; bound without the publisher's adverts. Wolff 3536; not in Sadleir.

A rather uncommon three-decker by this prolific novelist and biographer. As we haven't read it ourselves, we'll rely on The Spectator of 14 November, 1835, for the gist: "The tale is laid about the time of the battle of Waterloo; chiefly, perhaps, to introduce a description of the appearance of Flanders when occupied by the hostile armies, and some pictures of the battle itself. The leading circumstances of the story consist of an imprudent marriage, the straitened condition of a supposed disinherited son, a deathbed will secreted by the brother and a rascally attorney, a noble hero-lover, and the difficulties which spring out of such a state of things, together with an abduction of the heroine… This novel is a very singular work. The author has a command of language, which, when the subject is exciting, almost rises to eloquence; he has evidently mixed in the world, and, in whatever  situation he moves himself, seen something both of high and low; he has also a good perception of character, although with the truth his portraits have frequently the weakness of naked individuality…My Aunt Pontypool is a hodge-podge ; but not devoid of interest in its story, and not unpleasant reading—when the art of skipping has been acquired…"

Rubbing to the boards and joints, some bumping and wear to the extremities; short closed tear to the top of Vol. I title-page, a few leaves in vol. II bumped at the top corner, intermittent toning to the leaves, occasional spots and stains, but generally clean, firmly bound.