[Rarebooks] FS: 1690 Book on Dutch Medals with many engravings including California as an island

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Thu Mar 12 10:48:15 EDT 2015

BIZOT, (P.). MEDALISCHE HISTORIE DER REPUBLYK VAN HOLLAND. In 't Fransch
beschreeven door den heer Bizot, en uit die taal in 't Nederduitsch
gebracht, en wel twee derden verm.; nevens alle de medalien der
overtocht van Zyn Hoogheid na Engeland, des zelfs krooning; enz. tot nu
toe in gevoegsaame ordre gesteld: met een byvoegsel van de grafsteden
ter eere der dappere helden opgerecht. Amsterdam: Pieter Mortier, 1690.
First Edition in Dutch. Quarto (6-3/4" x 9") bound in early calf-backed
marbled boards; (6), (36), 364; 40, (16) pages. Originally published in
French in 1687, this useful reference work on Dutch medals of the period
1555-1689 is complete and profusely illustrated with an engraved
frontispiece, engraved title page, two portraits, 123 numismatic plates,
15 plates of sepulchral monuments, and many text engravings. The
numismatic plates, usually with multiple images, are very interesting
containing portraits, scenes of sea battles, views of Dutch cities, and
maps, including one of California as an island. Each medal is fully
described and accompanied by an explanation of the historical details.
Brunet I, 955 (French edition); Graesse I, 433 (note). Name dated 1839
in ink on title page. Hinges a little weak. Near Fine. (#015997)
$750.00

http://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/015997.html

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com