[Rarebooks] FS An Act to Settle Trade to Africa 1698

Mary Gilliam gilliam at fgrarebooks.com
Mon May 18 16:23:34 EDT 2015

For Sale

An Act to Settle trade to Africa

Anno regni Gulielmi III. Regis Angliæ, Scotiæ, Franciæ & Hiberniæ, nono & decimo. :
At the Parliament begun at Westminster the two and twentieth day of November, anno dom. 1695. In the seventh year of the reign of our Sovereign Lord William the Third ... : And from thence continued by several prorogations and adjournments to the third day of December, 1697. Being the third session of this present Parliament.
London. Printed by Charles Bill and the Executrix of Thomas Newcomb, deceas'd.  MDCXCVIII.
[2] 503-519, [1] folio
 Library Company Afro-Americana: 4256.
Some soiling with paper tape on spine.

P> 514 makes reference to Colonies in America. Prior to this time trade was confined to the Royal African Company. This Act gave everyone the right to trade in Africa and the merchants trading in slaves increased. This Act opened up the trade to all English merchants and Britain became dominant in the slave trade.

This was printed by the widow of Thomas Newcomb hence the Executrix in collaboration with Charles Bill.  Women printers often ran the printing shop of their late husband until they remarried.

$550  less trade discount

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Franklin Gilliam :: Rare Books, A.B.A.A., I.L.A.B.
218 West South Street
Charlottesville, Virginia 22902
Telephone: (434) 979-2512; Facsimile: (434) 979-2689

Hours: Twelve noon to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday; or by chance or appointment. A call ahead is advisable.

Antiquarian Booksellers' Association of America:  http://abaa.org
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers:  http://www.ilab-lila.com

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Specialties: Americana (including Law to 1870); English & American Literature
 (especially Southern); Wine; Horticulture; Printed Ephemera; and Books about Books.

Orders accepted by telephone, facsimile or e-mail. Payments may be made by
Mastercard or Visa, or by check in U.S. funds. Virginia residents please
add 5.3% sales tax.

New customers unknown to us, please send check with order. Libraries will
be billed in any manner suited to their budgetary requirements.

Shipping, handling and insurance are charged at $7.50 for the first volume;
$2.00 for each additional volume.

Any item may be returned for any reason within ten days of receipt. Kindly
notify us before returning the item.