[Rarebooks] FS: Two Daimaru Fabric Sample Books, kimono etc. fabrics, elephant folios

Lee Kirk theprintsandthepaper at comcast.net
Wed May 27 10:08:55 EDT 2015

Two Daimaru Fabric Sample Books, kimono etc. fabrics, elephant folios

Dealer discount applies. Discount for personal pick-up. See end of
statement. Sample images available on request.

These two folios measure about 30x22 inches each. They consist of loose
plates in a folding portfolio cover. Each bears an empty card pocket on the
inside cover.

These came from the art & architecture dept. of the University of Oregon.
The person from whose estate these are acquired was a professor in the home
economics dept at the University, specializing in textiles. She was also a
docent (anthropological textiles) at the UO Art Museum for nearly four
decades.

Although there are notations on contents on the card pockets, they are not
consistent with the current contents.

The item that I refer to as Folio One contains 26 plates plus a plate to
which a letter from Daimaru has been attached. The letter indicates what
various abbreviations mean, and lists the various garments to which the
fabrics can be applied. There is a label on the front cover. Ribbon ties are
intact. There are signs of wear on the covers and plates.

The other (Folio Two) contains 21 plates. One ribbon tie is broken off. No
label on front cover, which is somewhat soiled and worn. Wear to some
plates. No attribution to Daimaru although it seems likely. The samples in
this portfolio are more traditional, more pure silk, and possibly some are
older.

A few of the plates (apparently heavy Bristol board or similar) are cracked
on edges.

Size of samples varies. There are a few plates with 2-3 samples. Most
samples are large, covering much of the folio plate.

I have no way of dating the various samples, but the collection appears to
date from the Showa period. Graphics and fabrics range from traditional to
"modern," subdued and brilliant, abstract and whimsical. Tags are attached
to many samples (primarily by staples) that indicate content and sometimes
use designations. The fabrics themselves range from pure silk, cotton,
rayon, and combinations. There are very sheer pieces and some that are
dense. Some are early post-WWII when Japan plunged into Western design
(deco, nouveau, Modernism). Others appear to be from pre-war or traditional
patterns.

Daimaru was established in the 18th Century and has since expanded, merged,
acquisitioned, etc. to become a series of department stores, with a branch
of supermarkets. Its kimono specialty shop is still where Japanese go for
traditional kimono and accessories, though, and does not cater primarily to
the tourist trade.

The fabric samples are all in good condition, although a few have become
detached or semi-detached. (For the most part they are attached with a
couple of dabs of adhesive at the top.) The presentation would benefit from
being interleaved with archival tissue, but I'm down to a couple of pieces.

I'm pricing the two portfolios together for $2500. Dealer discount of 20%
may be applied. Postage and insurance included IN THE USA. $200 discount if
the buyer can pick up in Eugene Oregon or at the Rose City Book and Paper
Show  in Portland Oregon June 12-13 (I'll also be there on the 11th.)