[Rarebooks] FS: 1827 French Anti-Censorship Satire by Narcisse-Achille, Duc de Salvandy

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Thu Oct 15 07:48:49 EDT 2015

Exposition des Derniers Produits de l'Industrie de la Censure et
reclamation d'icelle contre une omission du jury.

Printed in Paris by A. Sautelet et Cie, Librairies, 9 Octobre, 1827.

A satirical polemic against the 'Latest Products of the Censorship
industry". Written by Narcisse-Achille, Duc de Salvandy [1795-1856], a
French politician of humble birth and Irish heritage. He had served in
the wars under Napoleon in 1813-1814, and was a prolific author, often
on historical, and sometimes political, subjects. This is one of the
latter, a scathing indictment of the French governments attempts to
crack down brutally on the press, led by Jean-Baptiste Guillaume Joseph
Marie Anne Seraphin, comte de Villèle. As a deputy, and Prime minister,
Villele was a leader of the Ultra-royalist faction during the Bourbon
Restoration. Between 1825 and 1827 he oversaw laws which made sacrilege
was made a crime punishable by death and "a new and stringent press
law", nicknamed the "law of justice and love." Salvandy went on to
become a member of the Chamber of Deputies from 1830-1848, and was
Minister of Education in Louis-Mathieu Molé's cabinet of 1837-1839, and
again in 1845. He also served as ambassador in Madrid and Turin in the
early 1840s, and superintended the foundation of the French School at
Athens and the restoration of the École des Chartes.

Self-wraps. 5.5"x9", 62 pages + table, plus rear cover sheet. Some soil,
some wear, loss in the inner portion of the front and back cover and
first and last few pages, not affecting the text. $125

Some Pictures =>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42360-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42360-page1.jpg>

  - - - - - - -

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our LATEST CATALOG-
   <http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog356.pdf>

Our EMAIL LIST
   is used to notify you of new catalogs and specials-

Our BLOG-
   <http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.