[Rarebooks] FS: 1689 Book French Trades & Professional Craftsmen Regulations in Besancon

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Sat Sep 12 07:55:28 EDT 2015

“Ordonnances Reglemens et Statuts des Arts et Metiers de la Cite Royale
de Besancon”

Printed in Besancon by Louis Rigoine in 1689.

A good source of information on trade regulations and practices in 17th
century France. This compilation of rules, regulations and laws
concerning the crafts and trades was published in the important eastern
city of Besancon in 1689, just 11 years after it had formally been ceded
to France as part of the Peace of Nijmwegen. The first section includes
general information and regulations, followed by sections for masons,
carpenters, roofers, launderers, metalsmiths, farriers, pavers, gold &
silversmiths, pewterers, cabinetmakers, hatmakers, tailors, shoemakers,
weavers, tanners, saddlers, harness-makers, apothecaries, surgeons,
bakers & pastry makers, and butchers. Each section runs five or six
pages and touches on the details of apprenticeships, trade regulations,
succession at the death of the master, and other nuts and bolts aspects
of the trades and professions in a 17th century French city. A valuable
source of information. Subsequent editions were published in 1698 and
1784.

Hardcover. 7"x10", 146 pages, [2] leaves, woodcut device on the title
page, woodcut head and tailpieces and initial letters bound in full
contemporaneous calf with giltwork on the spine. Covers rubbed and worn,
scattered internal soil and browning, as shown.  $875

Some Pictures =>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-41635-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-41635-page1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-41635-page2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-41635-page3.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-41635-page4.jpg>

  - - - - - -

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our LATEST CATALOG-
   <http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog355.pdf>

Our EMAIL LIST
   is used to notify you of new catalogs and specials-

Our BLOG-
   <http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.