[Rarebooks] FS - Happy Birthday Glenn Gould

Greenfield Books mail at greenfieldbooks.com
Fri Sep 25 13:00:35 EDT 2015

Today is the birthday of the great Canadian pianist Glenn Gould. He
would have been 83 if he had not died, tragically, of an apparent drug
overdose in 1982.

Gould was famous for his interpretation of Bach, and he is just as
famous, or infamous (depending on your tastes and sensitivities) for his
mumbling and singing when playing.

Once, when the famous conductor George Szell was leading the Cleveland
Orchestra with whom Gould was appearing as a soloist, he remarked to an
assistant that "That nut's a genius". Leonard Bernstein said "There is
nobody quite like him, and I love playing with him".

Gould was also a composer, although only occasionally. His only
significant work was the String Quartet, Op. 1, which he finished when
he was in his 20s.

The String Quartet, (published in 1956 and recorded in 1961), had a
mixed reception from critics. For example, the notices from the
Christian Science Monitor and The Saturday Review were quite laudatory,
while the response from the Montreal Star was less so. There is little
critical commentary on Gould's compositional work for the simple reason
that there are few compositions. He did not proceed beyond Opus 1.
(Wikipedia).

We are fortunate to have in stock a rare copy of his String Quartet,
Opus 1. It is a "Columbia High Fidelity" recording (long playing record)
in its original slipcase and marked "First recording", the record
equivalent of a first edition. What makes our copy unique and especially
desirable is that it is signed by Gould and dated in the year of its
pressing, 1961. The slipcase is a bit rubbed, mainly to the edges. There
is a touch of soiling to the rear of the slipcase. The record itself has
no obvious scratches and appears to be in excellent condition.

Images of the album, and the signature, may be viewed at our Facebook page.

We offer it for sale at $750 USD.

Terms of sale - the price is net in USD. Payment by check, credit card,
or PayPal. No additional charge for packing and postage. Returnable only
with prior notice if found to be in a condition other than as described.

Greenfield Books,
Member: ABAC/ILAB
217 Academy Road,
Winnipeg, MB Canada