[Rarebooks] FS: 1st ed. of Paruta's influential work on political science. Venice: 1599

Kenneth Karmiole kkarmiole at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 1 17:06:51 EDT 2016

Paruta, Paolo. DISCORSI POLITICI... DIVISI IN DUE LIBRI. Aggiontovi Nel Fine un Suo Soliloquio... Venice: Domenico Nicolini. 1599. 4to. 2 parts in 1. The preliminaries are foliated ff.(22),12, then the book is paginated (13)-636,(2);21,(1)pp. Woodcut portrait of the author on the title page. Each part with a final colophon with a a woodcut device, and dated 1599. Modern (early 20th century) half calf over maroon cloth, gilt spine. Title and preliminaries with some old soiling, and the final few leaves with an old water stain at lower outer corner.    $850.00 (trade discount allowed)
The first edition of Paruta's (1540-1598) influential political science text was printed posthumously, and reprinted and translated often in the 17th century. The collation of this copy seems to be the most common (exactly as OCLC record 19940825 or 19940429, etc.), but there is also another variant, as recorded by Adams P363. Our collation has gathering Z in 4 leaves, Adams is in 2 leaves, and our collation does not have 2 leaves after Nnnn4, which are found in Adams. The collation of our copy should have 4 blanks, *4, c6, ZZ2 and final leaf C4.. Two of these blanks, ZZ2 and C4, are not present in this copy.

Kenneth Karmiole, Bookseller, Inc.
1239A Third Street Promenade
Santa Monica, CA 90401
310-451-4342