[Rarebooks] F/S Revolutionary War Pension Application Boston Tea Party Participant

Garry R Austin austbook at sover.net
Mon Aug 22 13:31:08 EDT 2016

-- We offer for your consideration the following, net to all and
postpaid @$350

From
Austin's Antiquarian Books
PO Box 730
Wilmington, Vt. 05363
mail at austinsbooks.com
802 464-8438

Revolutionary War Pension Application Manuscript Document For Benjamin
Burton, (a participant in the Boston Tea Party); April 30, 1829. Two
pages measuring 8.25" x 12.75"; Signed at the Court, Warren, Lincoln
County Maine. Witnessed by Judge Samuel Smith, Attestation signed by
Nathaniel Coffin, Clerk of the Court, with the embossed Court Seal. Very
good, a bright document;

The applicant details Burton's Revolutionary War Service, an extensive
listing of all of the commissions received, regiments joined, his
imprisonment by the British with General Wadsworth and their subsequent
escape. Further capture & escape;

1776, Captain of Militia drafted for expedition to Rhode Island under
Capt. North;

1776, Arrival At Boston, Lieutenant's Commission under Capt. King in
Col. Thomas Marshall's Regiment Massachusetts Line & Continental Troops;

1777. Appointed Captain in Col. Sherburn's Regiment appointed by Gen.
Washington, remained till 1779; Regiment unfunded, resigned & returned home;

1780; Prevailed on By Gen. Wasdsworth (Castine Maine) & took a Major's
Commission in State Troops; delivered letters to Gen. Hancock at Boston
and was taken prisoner on return to Maine.

1781; After three months, escaped with Gen. Wadsworth, returned to Boston.

1781; Captain of Marines Commission on a 20 gun ship; Captured by
British and taken to Cork Ireland;

1782; Sent to Plymouth (England) on Guard Ship & escaped to France on a
Neutral Ship.

1782; Got on board the Frigate "Alliance" 44 guns, Com. Barry
commanding, as a volunteer and returned to New London Ct and mustered
out, "Peace soon came on & I took to getting my living by the sweat of
my brow".

A very busy military career.

Benjamin Burton was born December 9th, 1749 and participated in the
Boston Tea Party; he was also one of the men who led the meeting at the
Old South Meeting House before the tea protest actually began. He later
enlisted in the Continental Army, and received the rank of Lieutenant in
September of 1776 and the rank of Captain in Colonel Thurburn's regiment
in Rhode Island in 1777. Burton was one of the patriots held prisoner
along with General Peleg Wadsworth for three months in 1778 and when he
escaped he was given the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in a Boston Militia.
Benjamin married Hannah Church and together they had seven children.
Burton died May 24, 1835 in Warren, Rhode Island. Interestingly, a
memoir of Colonel Burton was published in the Main Historical
Collections [series 1, volume I, pg. 3-25-335].
Sent from Postbox