[Rarebooks] FS: 1839/40 Connecticut Silversmith Letters

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Thu Dec 15 14:00:31 EST 2016

 From our new catalog-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog367.pdf>

1839/40 Connecticut Silversmith Letters Regarding Silver Spoon Order

A receipt- "Rec Woodbury July 15, 1839 from E&H Frisby twenty five
dollars in Specie to apply on order for Spoons - Curtiss Candee +Co.". A
letter: "Woodbury Sept. 14, 1840 - Mr. Enos Frisby, Dear Sir, We are
obliged to send Mr. French away with out the Desert Spoons and the
thimble, much against our wishes, we did not finish a Spoon the task
(illegible) on account of the Water and could get (illegible) finished
today for you. We have given Mr. French an order for the comb in N. York
where he will probably find Mr. Curtiss who is now there. We regret that
we are now obliged to disappoint you, but it must be so. Very
Respectfully Yours, Curtiss Candee +Co. - P.S. Since writing the above
they have come from the factory with twelve doz Desert which we send
-Curtiss C+C." Bohan and Hammerslough's "Early Connecticut Silver" notes
that Daniel Curtiss (1801-1878) worked with Lewis Burton Candee as
Curtiss, Candee and Company from 1831 to 1835, when they were joined by
former apprentice Benjamin Stiles and became Curtiss Candee & Stiles.
Perhaps Stiles deserted a sinking ship- the firm ceased operation in
1840, which is perhaps not a total surprise given the general confusion
hinted at in this letter.

2 pieces: Receipt- 7,5"x3.75" (torn from larger sheet of paper), minor
soil. Letter- 7.5"x10", folded, minor soil, torn chip at the top
slightly affecting the lettering. [40197] $150

Pictures ->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog367.pdf>

http://www.joslinhall.com

Our email list
http://joslinhall.com/mailman/listinfo/jhrbnews_joslinhall.com

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

Tumblr
https://joslinhall.tumblr.com

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.