[Rarebooks] FS: Mazda Automobile & Home Light Bulbs 1910-20 Ephemera

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Tue Dec 27 10:13:44 EST 2016

 From our new catalog-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog367.pdf>

Lot of 1910-1920 Promotional Ephemera for Mazda Automobile & Home Light
Bulbs.

A lot of promotional material, including circular promotional tags,
oblong tags, booklets, and cards. The "Mazda" brand name for its
tungsten filament incandescent light bulb was trademarked by General
Electric in 1909, and was used by GE and Westinghouse until 1945. The
bulb was named for Ahura Mazda, the God of Zoroastrianism whose name
means light of wisdom. The bulbs were marketed by emphasizing their
predictable performance and long life expectancy for a wide variety of
uses, including home lighting and car headlights. "GE also licensed the
Mazda name, socket sizes, and tungsten filament technology to other
manufacturers to establish a standard for lighting. Bulbs were soon sold
by many manufacturers with the Mazda name attached, including British
Thomson-Houston in the United Kingdom, Toshiba in Japan, and GE's chief
competitor Westinghouse, which advertised their bulbs with paintings by
Maxfield Parrish. In the 1925 Felix the Cat cartoon The Cat and the Kit,
Mazda lamps are Felix's choice of car headlights. In the play The Glass
Menagerie by Tennessee Williams, after the rain knocks out the
electricity, Amanda says: 'We'll just have to spend the remainder of the
evening in the nineteenth century, before Mr. Edison made the Mazda
lamp!' The Mazda light bulb is improbably mentioned in the 1952 Johnny
Mercer song Glow Worm: 'You got a cute vest-pocket Mazda/Which you can
make both slow and fazda'."

35 pieces. Some with some soil and wear, most clean and nice.  [42459]
$250

Pictures ->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog367.pdf>

http://www.joslinhall.com

Our email list
http://joslinhall.com/mailman/listinfo/jhrbnews_joslinhall.com

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

Tumblr
https://joslinhall.tumblr.com

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.